Thursday, June 23, 2011

Losing Weight Fearlessly!


Is there fear in losing the fat? I believe there is.  In my individual case, i am still trying to figure out what it would mean if i lost the thirty pounds and became a healthier me.  Aside from thinking that perhaps i don't deserve to be healthy and fit--the fear which prevents me from making healthy decisions.  I know the positives of losing the fat--i will have a healthy pregnancy in the future and just be healthier overall.  Furthermore, i will not have to worry about illnesses such as diabetes and others. 

I came across this article by Steve Pavlina and this statement resonated with me: Unlike fear of failure and fear of rejection, fear of success can be far more insidious because it’s almost always unconscious. But it’s not fear of success itself that is the problem but rather fear of the side effects of success, many of which may be genuinely unwanted.

Could it be that i have a fear of success? What would it mean for me if i lost all of my thirty pounds?  Am i fearful that i would need to maintain the weight loss and continue to be healthy and fit? Unconsciously have i decided--Why bother since i may be unable to maintain it?  Do i feel as if i don't deserve to be fit?  Knowing that i may have fear of success gives me something to focus on. I need to change my attitude about weight loss and being successful at it consciously.   

The thing with fear is that i can overcome it.  Steve Pavlina says this about fear:  Asking, “What will happen if I succeed?” can solve this problem because it focuses your conscious attention on those fears. Fear has a tendency to shrink under direct examination, making it easier for you to take action.  This helps me to think that i have control over my actions and choices.  I can look at the fear in the eye and stand up against it and help to shrink until it disappears.

I do not have to focus on the fears but at the successes which are before me that i can achieve fearlessly.  I challenge you today to focus on what fears stand in your way as you attempt to meet your fitness goals.  I challenge you, as i do myself, to focus on all the successes that will come with hard work and dedication and kick the fear out the gym and fridge door!

6 comments:

Heavenly Savings said...

Cute Blog! I am a new follower! Happy Friday! I would love for you to stop by and take a look at my blog as well! Follow if you like! Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com! Hope to blog with you again soon!

The Old White Barn said...

Good info in this post - something for me to think about.

Stopping by from Follow Friday and so glad I found you! Now following so I can keep up with all the interesting things you've got going on.

Susan
The Old White Barn

Unknown said...

New follower from the friday hop :) I'm so glad I found your blog because I am also into fitness so I'm excited to read more of your posts!

Chef in Training said...

great post! You have a great blog! I am visiting from the Boost My Blog Friday! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back! thanks so much!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Krafty Max Originals said...

Hop'pin by from 'It's Monday! Hop along with Me Blog Hop!'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

Krafty Max Originals

Kareen said...

Thoughtful post. Made me think about my journey. Thanks!